Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Gruhabedham - the varying hues

This week I was fortunate to come across two different videos both incidentally by my favorite duo Ra-Ga (Ranjani Gayathri).

The first one was a lec dem on this topic by Gayathri (of Ra-Ga) that took place on 16th Dec 2016 at Music Academy. I had read about it in the hindu and though I was in Chennai at that time, I couldn't attend it in person. Thankfully they had posted the video of the same and I was able to watch. It gave a whole new perspective on gruha bedha and several examples of the not so common transformations. Especially transformations from sampurna to audava ragas are something I didn't hitherto think were under the purview of GB. I lack the musical prowess to follow along at the same speed at which she was transforming. What I lack in musical talent, I am intending to make up with my software skills by building an app for recalculation GB combos easily (some day....)

Here's the wonderful video


Today I had the fortune of listening to their concert on youtube as well. They had taken Hamir Kalyani for a RTP elaboration. One of the ragas they had sung Kalpanaswaram in was Abhogi ( or should I say Valaji or both). Confused? Listen to it and decide yourself.


God willing, I will be able to write an elaborate konaar notes on these two videos someday. For now enjoy the originals.